Wednesday 6 November 2013

Blog Post 1



Strong statement of my own opinion on Strands:
Strands is a book which has influenced a lot of my opinions on nature writing and has helped me to reflect on the seemingly insignificant things and learn to describe them in detail with reference to wider implications such as the impact certain things have when Sprackland describes what she has found on the beach. In my opinion the book was well presented, sectioned off into clear sections such as winter and summer, which notified the reader of these seasonal changes and also showed the passing of time throughout the year through the months. Also it enhanced my thoughts on the use of 1st person in nature writing, Sprackland uses it for her own opinions but this is not forced upon the reader, I thought it was subtly used in a sense, she talks forcefully about the damage that has been done by the tobacco dumping at a particular beach in the book but it is not designed to make the reader hate the previous generation that did the damage. Although it is clear that there is ecological damage to the environment and the tobacco waste that was meant to reinforce the cliffs actually did the complete opposite her opinion almost verges on the fact that it has happened in history and this is the result. It is more descriptive and less layered with forceful opinion, which is what I took from the novel as a whole. This writing is what I most enjoy to read. It is provocative, making me (the reader) think actively about what is being described and the implications but also entwined with the authors own opinions that I can actively reject her opinions if I so wish.
 I thought Strands overall, was a superb piece of writing. The description of seemingly insignificant objects gave way to Spracklands further thoughts on issues such as the impact on the beach and also into well researched information and sections of poems which were relevant to the subject she was speaking about. This really helped combine the story together and provoke further thoughts into the life of a plastic bottle, for instance. To think about its journey across vast oceans and the distance it has had to travel to arrive on this very beach really opened my eyes in a metaphorical sense to the story entwined with the inanimate object. This book really struck a chord with my thoughts and made me, for one of the first times; really consider the variety of objects that wash up on the beach. For that alone, anything that enhances my knowledge and makes me think deeper about not just the beach but history and the world, is something that I really enjoy from a book. In my opinion Strands is a well researched and narrated book that makes you look again at the inanimate in life, in this case, on the beach.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Strands is well written, but I'm afraid I din't fall in love with it as you have. I found the style exceedingly repetitive. I realise that that is almost the point, doing the same walk everyday and seeing what different things appear before you, but the style almost became so obviously formulaic that it was nearly painful to read and easy to predict.
    Again, I agree that Sprackland produced further thoughts on the things she saw, but I was annoyed that she never took any action over anything. Much of what she saw was typical to a British beach, much of it was environmentally unfriendly, and yet she never did anything. She was never so shocked by the amount of litter that she organised a mass litter picking event, or so upset by the tobacco rolling past her in the breeze that she started a petition to have it removed from the cliffs.
    I do fully agree with your final point, it is written to make you reflect on what is being said, and it does so very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The style was an interesting point to reflect on, but I much preferred Spracklands style to Jamie's findings, I found it to be more evocative and emotional, instead of being rather detached and in a sense, indifferent to parts of the environment, the gulls head is an example that comes to mind straight away.
    I do agree with your thoughts on the fact she never took much action at all, that would have been a large negative if I had to reflect on the book, she does write evocatively but then does nothing to change what she writes about.

    ReplyDelete